Attorney Ann Fitz
Attorney Ann Fitz has over a decade of experience representing criminal defendants in federal court. She is a former prosecutor, and in addition to her private practice she served for 7 years as a federal Panel Attorney under the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) in Atlanta and Los Angeles. She has handled numerous high-profile white collar crime, Internet-based crime and other criminal cases, including: a $25 million loan modification scheme; a $12 million tax fraud scheme; a $7 million Ponzi scheme; an identity theft and wire fraud scheme featured on an episode of CBS’s 48 Hours Mystery; the lead defendant in the Atlanta prosecution of the Black Mafia Family (BMF); constitutional challenges to the applicability of the Florida and Georgia sex offender registration laws; and arguing precedential cases in the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
In addition to her work as a white collar criminal defense attorney, Ms. Fitz also has a diversified background of fighting for clients in civil litigation, mediation and arbitration cases, including: EEOC mediations; breach of contract disputes; defending against copyright infringement charges by Warner Brothers; FINRA arbitrations; and 2255 habeas petitions.
She is licensed in numerous states and federal jurisdictions, including all federal district courts in Florida. She has prepared motions and briefs in the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Circuits, as well as the United States Supreme Court, and has represented clients in federal courts throughout Florida, Georgia, New York, New Jersey, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Ms. Fitz was recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2013, 2014 and 2016, an honor bestowed upon just 2% of all lawyers under the age of 40, and as a “Top 10 Under 40” criminal lawyer by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys in 2014. In 2018 she was selected among America’s Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys and in 2019 The National Trial Lawyers named her as a Top 100 Criminal Litigator.
Outside of the courtroom, Ms. Fitz has provided her insights and opinions as a legal commentator on the Fox News Network, CNN, HLN, MSNBC, and appeared as a regular guest on truTV’s In Session (formerly CourtTV) from 2009-2011. Her distinctive accomplishments in criminal defense have been featured in numerous nationally well-known publications and media outlets including Rolling Stone Magazine, Wired Magazine, CBS’s primetime news magazine 48 Hours Mystery and NBC’s Nightly News. She is a chapter author for the Lexis-Nexis Practice Guide: Georgia Criminal Law and has served as a seminar speaker on the topic of white collar crime.
- Criminal Defense
- Criminal Law - Federal (White Collar Crime)
- Insurance Fraud
- Internet Crimes
- Mail Fraud
- Identity Theft
- Immigration Fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Credit Card Fraud
- Mortgage Fraud
- Public Corruption
State Bar Admissions
- Georgia, 2003
- New York, 2010
- California, 2012
- Ohio, 2014
- South Carolina, 2016
- Florida, 2018
Federal District Court Admissions
- Southern District of Florida
- Middle District of Florida
- Northern District of Florida
- Northern District of Georgia
- Middle District of Georgia
- Southern District of Georgia
- Central District of California
- Southern District of California
- Western District of Tennessee
- District of South Carolina
Federal Appellate Court Admissions
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia, May, 2003 J.D.
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, May, 1999 B.A. Major: English Major: Communications Studies
Classes and Seminars
- Trends in Corporate Crime, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Association, Palm Beach Chapter
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Palm Beach Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2013 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2014 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2014 Top 10 Under 40, National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- 2016 Rising Star, Super Lawyers
- 2018 America's Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
- 2019 The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Criminal Litigator
- Ann Fitz has represented clients from a variety of professional backgrounds including lawyers, doctors, federal employees, law enforcement officers, and real estate, banking and financial professionals.
- Chapter Author, Persse et al., Georgia Criminal Practice Guidebook (Matthew Bender) Chapter 1: Criminal Jurisdiction, 2012
- Chapter Author, Persse et al., Georgia Criminal Practice Guidebook (Matthew Bender) Chapter 14: Appeals, 2012